Sometimes I wonder if I am adopted. I don't have a human daddy like a lot of other dogs with blogs have. I live with my Human Mommy and my Human Grandma. I have to admit that even though the shades of colors are different -- I have brown hair like Mommy and white hair like Grandma, so we must be related. Some days Mommy even has chin hairs like me. I've seen her pluck hers out -- I don't know why she does -- they grow right back! I think my chin hairs make me look distinguished -- Mommy should just keep hers.
Anyway, my first memory of Mommy was when I was about 2 months old. Mommy came into this place, I'll just call it a "store" but maybe it was some sort of puppy daycare.
Anyway, I was in this pen with a couple of other puppies that looked nothing like me, and all the other puppies were picking on me. I don't know why they were picking on me -- I think I'm a nice guy!
Mommy asked the man at the "store" to pick me up out of the pen. I played in this play area with Mommy, but I was more like a magnet to Mommy. I kept sitting all over Mommy's pocketbook. It's like I didn't want to leave Mommy's side and I stuck to her like glue.
Mommy did something at the counter -- signed some papers, handed over a shiny plastic card to the man -- and off I went home.
All I know is that Mommy loves me and I love Mommy. So, even if I am adopted, it's ok!
-----------------------------------------
2. Tribute to my big brother....
I noticed a couple of dogs with blogs are posting about their brother or sister's that went over rainbow bridge.
I used to have a big brother, but he went over rainbow bridge when I was about seven months old. His name was Lucky, he was a Bichon Frisse (no idea how to spell that.) He only had 3 legs. See, when Mommy's Dad was alive, he found Lucky on the street. Something was wrong with one of Lucky's back legs, he used to have all 4 legs when they first met him. Mommy's family took Lucky to the SPCA and the SPCA said if the owner doesn't claim him in a few days they have to put him down because he was injured, gangrene was setting into Lucky's leg. Lucky's owners didn't come forward and the newspapers didn't have any mention of a dog matching Lucky's description.
So, Mommy's family decided to pay for an operation to have Lucky's bad leg removed, and they adopted Lucky. Lucky was about 3 when they adopted him and he lived with Mommy for 13 or 14 years. They named him "Lucky" because he was "lucky to be alive!" Lucky got used to just having three legs. He used to get around just fine, sometimes people didn't even know he was handicapped. As a matter of fact, I learned how to steal food from watching my big brother. My big brother liked my puppy food a lot! He used to sneak his way to my food bowl while Mommy was busy cleaning up my potty papers - and boy did he know how to eat puppy food fast! After a while Mommy just gave up and gave some puppy food to Lucky too whenever she fed me. The other day, I stole a sandwich from my human Aunt when she wasn't looking -- Lucky would be so proud of me!
Mommy wonders if I am happy being an only dog now? I don't know what to tell Mommy.
I'm glad that I am able to share my memory of my big brother Lucky on my blog.
Eventhough he passed away about a year ago, I miss him.
Lassiter Chase the Sheltie

Oh, it was so nice to hear Lucky's story, and what an amazing story it was! Sorry that you has so little time with your big brother. He sounds like a very special dog, who made the best out of life. We can learn so much from dogs and their tremendous optimism and learning to live to the fullest, no matter what happens.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have a wonderful family. Bailey doesn't remember much about his adoption. He was only about 4 months old when he came home from Sheltie rescue. Katy was adopted a year ago and we suspect she remembers more about her previous life than she wants to share. She was two. We had to drive to another state to get both of them as there is only one Sheltie rescue that covers three states in our area.
ReplyDeleteBailey and Katy are closer than many human brothers and sisters although other than both being Shelties they don't look much alike. Bailey is a large Sable Sheltie that often gets mistaken for a collie. Katy is a black and white Sheltie with classic Sheltie looks.
What great stories! Your lucky to have know Lucky & you sound like you've got an amazing family!
ReplyDeleteNubbin wiggles,
Oskar
It's fun getting to know you better! Your big brother was a very handsome boy, and I must say you have an adorable baby picture!
ReplyDeletePat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com