After work one day this week, Grandma told Mommy to go to the supermarket and buy lunch meat.
Grandma doesn't like when the deli department pre-slices lunchmeat because she says they slice it "too thick."
So, Grandma told Mommy to wait in line (however long it takes) and get some "extra thin" sliced ham.
So, Mommy went to the supermarket and you have to pull a number, and wait your turn in line until they call your number. The number they were on was (95) at the time.
Mommy's number on her piece of paper was (01). Mommy was tired from work and just wanted to go home -- she kept repeating in her head...I'm number Zero One... I'm number Zero One...
So finally, after waiting and waiting for like 87 hundred hours. The number they were on was Zero Zero (00). Mommy thought in her head... I'm next. I'm number "Zero One."
Then finally the lunchmeat man called out... "Number One."
Mommy excitedly shouted out... "I'm Number One!" And she was waving her number way up high in the air!
Mommy kinda made a scene, shouting it out like that! You would have thought she won a contest or was at a sporting event or something the way she said it!
She was expecting them to say "Zero One" and didn't put two and two together that her number was actually just "One" instead of "Zero One." (Like I said, Mommy was tired and wasn't thinking straight.)
So, after a bunch of people in line rolled their eyes at Mommy. (Because they were jealous that Mommy is #1 and they're not!). Mommy said to the lunchmeat man as soon as she made her way to the counter... I would like ham sliced "extra thin".
Mommy said, if the other customers didn't already roll their eyes at Mommy before -- they sure were rolling their eyes at Mommy now! People were kinda grumbling about how long it was gonna take for them to slice lunch meat "extra thin." People were looking at their watches and pacing back and forth.
Then Mommy said to the lunchmeat man, "Please, I'm your #1 customer."
The lunchmeat man sliced the ham perfectly, and Mommy got out of there as quickly as possible.
Mommy is glad to have made it out of the deli department in one piece! (Guess you had to have been there -- in hind sight, Mommy thought it was funny!)
![]() |
| Mommy holding the #01 paper. |
![]() |
| I'm #1. |
Lassie and Benji
P.S. Mommy says...isn't it easier to just put one slice of thick sliced lunchmeat on a sandwich instead of lining up about 5 slices of extra-thinly sliced lunchmeat!
P.P.S. Benji and I got to taste the ham when Mommy made Grandma a sandwich -- and it was pawsome!


Bwahaahaa! SHE does stuff like that. Luckily, our deli has shaved ham, or chicken....
ReplyDeleteXXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy
You've already answered the question that was at the forefront of my mind - did you guys get to taste it?? Thank goodness you did!
ReplyDeleteGawoof gawoof sounds just like our mom when she goes to the deli counter and asks for procuitto which is not only cut ultra thin but has to be layered between sheets of paper mom stands there and hums out loud while she waits.....she says she is keeping time with all the foot tapping of the other customers waiting
ReplyDeleteWhat an ordeal! Glad your Mom got out of there safe and sound with the deli meat (EVEN if it was ham hehe!).
ReplyDeletePiggy kisses,
Katie and Coccolino the mini pig
Guys, your Momma is NUMBER ONE! Glad you made it into the post :)
ReplyDeletethat WAS funny!! When my Mom goes to the deli counter she always asks them NOT to slice it thin!
ReplyDeleteToo funny! Of course your mom is number one!
ReplyDeleteMy grandmother and mother always asked for everything to be sliced thin...even stock's pound cake has to be very, very thin. they always say it tasted better that way.
Your mom is so funny! Oh, she is definitely the number ONE!!!
ReplyDeleteMy mom doesn't really mind whether her ham is thin or thick though. She just doesn't care much because her mind is always wondering elsewhere. Sigh!
~Eva
@ Sara. We want stocks pound cake now. Yummy.
ReplyDelete@ Cocco the mini pig, oops my bad. Guess we should have gotten turkey ham instead.
@ everyone, thanks so much for all your great comments about mommy being number one. We love all your comments. You all r such great friends. Luv ya.
Hahaha! That is something my Mom would do!
ReplyDeleteDina
Your mommy is definitely number one! All those people who rolled their eyes were all really boring people!
ReplyDeleteI don't thik ham should be cut too thick or it is hard to eat! Mind you, I , Pip, have never tried ham!
Pippa :)
We like the thin slices, too. Hope everyone enjoyed the yummy ham!
ReplyDeletePat
Critter Alley
Ha ha ha!😄 that's great stuff! I was silly one day and said BINGO...I got one chuckle and several death stares!
ReplyDeleteYour number was zero one so why did you say your number was one. Maybe everyone was looking at you because you answered to the wrong call number.
ReplyDeleteThanks for being a friend
Sweet William the Scot
Well I bet it WAS pawsome! After all it came from your #1 Mommie for her #1 family!
ReplyDelete