Wednesday, April 11, 2012

True Color - gingham & Easter Basket Questions Answered


True Color Thursday color is gingham. We never heard the name "gingham" before, so Mommy keeps having to look it up on the True Color Thursday blog, because she can't remember that name for nothing!!!


1. Mommy found this piece of material that is the gingham color. It was in Grandma's bag of material that she is saving. Grandma said it could make a good pillowcase set one day. So, anyway, here we are in the meantime, having a little photo-shoot on the future pillowcases.


That's me, Lassie.



That's me again! I'm so handsome!


There's Benji!

------------------------------------

2. Mommy was having trouble finding more gingham color stuff.



So, Mommy's sister came over with a bag of old kids clothes that the kids outgrew, and told Mommy she could look thru it and donate the clothes in a clothing bin.


I didn't like where this was heading. They started pulling out shirts and holding them in the air against me and Ben -- and then look what happened!!!!



OK - we look ridiculous. (And here I thought nothing could make us look worse than that black and white stripe headband a few weeks ago.)



Anyway, they ended up finding this gingham shirt. It's Mommy's oldest niece's shirt from when she was a little girl, that ties at the bottom of the shirt. The shirt didn't fit us dogs -- thank goodness! So, Mommy made us some great looking bandana's out of it. I think we look good in it -- butt, Mommy sent the gingham bandana off to the clothing bin with the other clothes right after the photo-shoot. That's ok, at least some little girl will get to wear it properly as a shirt one day.


Benji had fun wearing the bandana too! (I know Benji and I are looking similar in these photos -- keep in mind, Benji's front legs are both white and one of mine is brown -- that's how you can tell us apart!)

---------------------------------------------



3. Mommy wanted to dye an egg a gingham color. She wanted to make it properly with straight lines butt, Mommy was just out of time! So, Mommy hurried up and drew any old lines on the egg in less than a minute, and had her niece dunk it in the blue dye so she could put it in the Easter Basket for the Blessing. (It looks horrible, butt, the thought was there for the blog.)


See the gingham-colored egg. Ok, it doesn't look as bad as I thought.

------------------------------------

That's all the gingham colored stuff we had.

Mommy wanted to thank everyone for saying she is so creative and talented, not just from her last post about the butter lamb, but for all the other times too, like the duct-tape Shelties, and the retro-Shelties, etc.

It really means a lot when she gets positive compliments, she's not used to it! Thanks everyone for putting a big smile on Mommy's face when she reads your great comments.
-------------------------------

Answers about the Easter Basket



Mommy wanted to answer a few questions in the comments from her last post about the Easter Basket. So, here it goes... Mommy celebrated Easter on April 8th, she is Ukrainian-Greek Catholic, but some Ukrainians do celebrate on April 15th, it depends which calendar you follow, the Gregorian Calendar or the Julian Calendar.

Mommy spends about an hour making a lamb. It's not perfect, I guess if she took more time on it, she would define the back legs of the lamb more.

Yes, Mommy's family and guests eat the butter lamb. One of Mommy's nephews ate the m&m nose and one of the eye's on Easter -- so the lamb is looking a little pathetic right now!

Mommy couldn't see making more than 2 lambs for one holiday, just too time consuming! One commenter said her mom made like a billion lambs for a fundraiser -- she must have a really big refrigerator and a lot of patience and courage to tackle a project that big. Kudos to your mom! That is a really big achievement!!! Mommy knows how hard it is to make those lambs.

Someone commented about what was in the jars in the easter basket. Well, we bless salt, honey, and this year we blessed Beets with horseradish in a jar. We have the actual horseradish root in the basket -- but we wanted to try something new this year.

Someone also asked - why do we bless the foods. Well, during Lent we fast. (In the old days, people used to be more strict than they are now -- but before lent -- there is a "Cheesefare Sunday" and a "Meatfare Sunday" and on those days you are supposed to eat up all those meat and cheese foods in your house before Lent starts. ) On Easter, we Bless those foods that we were fasting from. Nowadays, we can just get away with fasting from meat on Fridays during Lent. We can't eat meat or dairy products on the 1st Day of Lent or on Good Friday. And no meat on Holy Saturday. And optionally, you can fast from meat on Wednesday's during lent -- but that's not mandatory. I know, it's so confusing!!!!

Someone asked a question about the bread. Here is a picture of the Paska design. It isn't the actual one we blessed, we kinda have been eating that one, but it's similar. It has a braid around it, to resemble the Crown of Thorns, and there is a Cross in the middle.






Have a great day everyone!

Lassie and Benji

11 comments:

  1. Thank you answering the questions :) That sounds a little confusing but most of these old customs just are confusing xD

    -Lilli-

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I love your gingham egg. I spotted it in the picture earlier in the week. So creative! All of your Easter treats look so delicious, that bread is just magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That checked fabric sure looked cute on you. But I thought gingham can be any color, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your pysanky egg fabrics! Is the first one embroidered? It is gorgeous! I'd love to make one like that. Maybe I'll look for a pattern.

    Lassie and Benji look positively miserable in the sweaters/shirts! Too bad, because they look so darn cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you guys look really cute in gingham. All of the Easter traditions that you have are wonderful. I'm Roman Catholic but except for fasting for lent, we don;t have that many traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, Mommy embroidered the cloth with the pysanky eggs on it for the basket. It is from a pattern. Butt, Mommy counted the pattern wrong in spots, so she says she "improved" the design by changing it a little. Also, Mommy ran out of some of the colors and was just substituting any colors she wanted to for it!. Mommy never finished the cloth! She made it years ago, and never finished it! She ran out of the colors for the pussy willow branches that are supposed to go at the bottom border, and never got to the store to buy more thread. So, on the bottom, it only has the 3 purple flowers. Mommy hopes to finish it one day! I'll believe it when I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are such handsome pups & blue does become you :)

    Think the blue & white gingham Easter egg was a neat idea, and your Mom is certainly talented & very patient re her doing butter sculptures - the lamb is wonderful, sorry I missed your original post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job with the gingham and I love your yellow and white gingham egg. It's beautiful!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are all great finds...love your gingham egg

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOw...didn't know gingham was a color...I always thought it was checkered cloth...but your Mom sure did a good job with it! Love the egg!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom person loves yellow gingham! She had it all over their outdoor wedding when she married my dad person.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete