We read all the comments that you pets and pet people wrote on our last post offering suggestions. You guys are all very smart -- we don't know what we would do without you! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Sara suggested digging very LARGE holes in the yard to find the map that will lead to a Treasure Box. (We thought that was a pawsome idea, butt wanted to consider all our options before we started digging.)
The Cowspot dogs suggested it was a key to Mom's heart. (That too was an excellent idea -- butt I never noticed a lock over Mommy's heart before. Maybe you have to insert the key in her belly button to unlock her heart -- that could be possible I suppose.)
Bailey named us "The cape crusader and his side kick." (We love that name, fits us perfectly!)
Casey asked us, "Do any neighbor kids cut through your yard sometimes as a shortcut?" (No, our yard is fenced in, so no one cuts through our yard except squirrels! Bark, Bark, Bark -- hate those squirrels!)
Dakota wants to check out the link to get to Honey's store. (Yep, I bet those superhero capes (APRONS) are a popular item at the store! Visit Honey's blog to find out about the store at www.bighoneydog.com )
Katy the Cat says she has a Photoshop Superhero cape. (Katy is a cool cat, we love her comments on our blog. Maybe Katy can teach us a thing or too about Photoshop. Bet it could come in handy one day.)
Parlance said, "Maybe you need a Detective Hat of some sort, like Sherlock Holmes used to wear. I'm sure your mum can come up with something!" (I wish Mommy were better at Photoshop, we could have put fancy detective hats on us. So, we resorted to wearing the hat/sweater that Grandma made for me when I was still a puppy years ago. Grandma knitted a blue hat for me with a pom pom on top when I was still a puppy. She came up with the style for it herself. She also knitted a sweater too. She put strings on the sweater to open and close it up because she didn't know how "fat" I was gonna get growing up. (Grandma, I think the term you were looking for was "muscular" not "fat" to describe me.) Benji and I aren't too fond of hats -- sorry, Grandma! So, we didn't do too much thinking with those detective hats.
![]() |
| I am wearing the "Thinking Hat" and wearing the Super Hero Cape "Apron" |
![]() |
| Grandma made it. |
The final comment we got was from Dawn, who said, "Who has been in your back yard guys?" (Excellent question Dawn! We racked our brains trying to think of who was in our back yard lately besides family. Below is our thought process...)
| Strategy planning meeting. |
Doesn't it look like we are sleeping in this photo. We are actually deep in thought in this picture trying to solve the Mystery!
I recalled a conversation that Mommy and Grandma had that morning before they left the house on an errand. I told Benji, do you remember when Mommy told Grandma that Mommy has a lot of work to do in the backyard at Springtime. Mommy never did finish picking up all the leaves along the sides of our backyard, and there are a lot of little twigs all over the yard to pick up. It's been so windy lately so a lot of little tree branches are falling down in the backyard. We only had some of the trees in our backyard trimmed in October and we had all of the trees in the front yard removed. Grandma told Mommy, she is so thankful that Mommy jumped back when that huge tree branch fell on Smurfette the Car in our driveway in October. Grandma said that Mommy could have been killed that day! Mommy, said, I know. Mommy said, let's change the subject. Grandma said, "You got a coupon for Petco in the mail today!" Mommy said, "Yeah!!! Maybe Petco sells that cloth Frisbee I can buy for the dogs to replace the one that I accidentaly ran over with Clifford the Big Red Lawn Tractor in Autumn. The Frisbee was buried under the pile of leaves that I was trying to pick up with the lawn mower."
![]() |
| A picture of the good old days before Mommy tore up our Frisbee with the Lawn mower! |
------------------------
So, I told Benji -- I think I just figured out where the key came from!
Benji said -- zzzz!
I said, "Ben, you aren't sleeping are you!"
Ben said, "Did someone say Frisbee!"
I said, "Yes, Ben!"
I told Benji, that Mommy ran over our Frisbee in the yard with the lawnmower because she didn't see it! It was buried under leaves in the backyard that fell down in Autumn. And who was in our yard in October before the leaves started to fall down --- the Tree Cutting People. They trimmed some branches in our backyard. And Mommy never finished picking up all the leaves in the backyard. The key must have been buried under some leaves, so she never saw it over the past couple of months. It's been so windy lately, the wind must have pushed whatever leaves were remaining in our yard over to the sides of the yard. That's how she just now found the key in the grass that must have been there since October! It's the Tree Cutting People's Key! Mystery solved!!!
------------------
Butt then, all of the sudden with a Flash of Lightening something happened in our house...
![]() |
| Actual photo of us. It is not photo shopped or altered in any way. |
I either got super tall or Benji must have shrunk! I felt like "Big Honey Dog" herself -- I was twice the size of Benji, this must be what a Great Dane feels like everyday! :)
Then I saw it -- the ALIENS are back in our house! (Where's Super Sheltie when you need him!)
I grabbed my superhero cape and waved it over Benji -- and he grew back to his normal size!
The Aliens said, "Where's OUR Key -- the one to our Spaceship that we left in the backyard!"
Benji and I were still in a state of shock. Then the Aliens went into our kitchen and pulled out some of the Gingerbread that Mommy's Godfather made her for Christmas. (They are Ninja Gingerbread, and very tasty!)
The Aliens zapped the Gingerbread men and shrunk them to create a small army of Gingerbread men!
![]() |
| There were more of the army of gingerbread men in the bag. |
I said, "The Key is in the Cabinet -- just take the key and go!" Don't damage anything in our house, Grandma blames all the shredded tissue paper and things that you Aliens do in our house on us dogs you know!
The Alien took the key and left.
![]() |
| Alien taking the key. |
-----------------
I told Benji, "Oh well, looks like it wasn't the Tree Cutting People's key afterall -- it was the Alien's Key!"
Benji said, "These tiny Gingerbread men cookies are bite-sized! Let me taste them! Yumm one tastes like Chicken and the other one tastes like Bacon/Cheese!"
I said, "I agree, these tiny Gingerbread men treats are pawsome and they will fit really nice in my Superhero Cape!
I hope Grandma believes us when we tell her it was the Alien's Key!
Thanks for reading this very LONG post!
Lassiter Chase and Benjamin Gilligan the Shelties,"The cape crusader and his side kick."
P.S. Too bad we didn't have a chance to dig really LARGE holes all over the yard like Sara suggested. Maybe next time!







Wow! What a saga! Those aliens are super sneaky, making you think it was the tree cutters who dropped a key.
ReplyDeleteWhew, that was exhausting!!!!!! All that thinking and sleuthing. Glad the Great Key Caper is finally solved and we can all get a good night's rest tonight, dreaming of gingerbread men.
ReplyDeleteThat's quite an adventure!
ReplyDeleteNow I see that key - I am thinking that is the key to your new home......now you just have to find the house?
ReplyDeleteThank goodness the mystery is solved.
ReplyDeletePat
Critter Alley
What an adventure!
ReplyDelete...have you ever seen the movie, "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" ?
You should check it out!
: ) Katie & Glogirly
We've got a little award for you :-)
ReplyDeletehttp://myminipetpig.com/2013/01/this-little-piggy-who-got-another-award-isnt-staying-home-alone/