Sunday, July 1, 2012

NJ Buckle up your pet law

Here in NJ, there's been a lot in the press about us doggies and kitties having to be buckled up when we are in the car or our humans can be fined $250 to $1,000.  Yikes!  

Mommy was in FULL PANIC MODE this week -- she didn't know what to do or buy regarding the Buckle Up Your Pet Law.

She ordered and rush shipped some new seat belt attachments that she found online so we had them earlier this week.(The seat belt attachment we ordered is a strap. One end looks like a seat belt plug and you just plug it in to lock it into the seat belt part of the car.  The other end has a clip to attach to our harness.)

There seems to be other items in the market related to pet car safety -- I bet Mommy could spend a small fortune if she had to buy all the products out there.

We didn't see any specific article that described how one "buckles up your pet" so we weren't really sure what we were supposed to buy.  So, Mommy ordered us the Seat Belt Attachments - so at least we had something instead of being fined up to $1,000.

(Finally, Mommy had a chance to go shopping yesterday (Saturday) and check out an actual pet store.  Mommy asked a store associate about the law -- and all they did is point to a display with like 6 different kinds of items ranging from harnesses, to seat belt attachments to car hammock looking things.. one item was similar to our Seat Belt Attachment, so Mommy figured she did ok -- by ordering the item herself.  At least we had the item earlier in the week, in case there was an emergency.)


We tested out the new Seat Belt Attachment in the car.  We took a short ride to Mommy's sister's house.  It was successful!

Mommy is so proud...
1) We didn't kill/choke each other during the car ride.
2) We didn't figure out how to get out of our harness or unplug the new seat belt attachment.
3) We even got to practice for the Blog Olympics while we were at Mommy's sister's house!
4) Since it's been so hot outside lately, we watered all of Mommy's sister's bushes, and Benji even left a fertilizer deposit by the tree.



This is us buckled up.  You can't really tell from this angle though.  Mommy was sweating bullets, and it wasn't just from the humidity.  She was so nervous about us dogs being buckled up and how we would take it!  She was probably more nervous about this test -- then she was on the actual day she took her driving test for her license ages ago.
That's the Seat Belt Attachment we bought.  She bought one for me, one for Ben, and one for our cousin dog in case he comes to visit us.
In conclusion, Mommy isn't in her FULL PANIC MODE anymore since our Buckle Up Your Pet -  Road Test experiment.








Here I am celebrating our victorious road test by rolling around on a patch of thick grass at Mommy's sister's house.



Here is an article about the Buckle Up Your Pet Fine, in case you want to read it ... “New Jersey Pets Need to Buckle Up, Drivers Can Face $1000 Fines”
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/06/new-jersey-pets-need-to-buckle-up-drivers-can-face-1000-fines.html




10 comments:

  1. we don't have that law yet in malaysia

    but i'm always the victim of my mum's aggressive driving style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about that new law somewhere...

    Love the seatbelt attachment your mom got. Seems so easy! I actually just ordered a new seat belt for Chewy. He needed one that would allow him to stand up, and all of the ones I had, he could only sit and after her circled around once, he was stuck in a down. Then, he would howl.

    Howling seems more distracting then having a loose dog in our car!

    Anyway, best to be safe, as you never know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! Safety is important!

    My humans usually put me in my crate whenever we have a car ride. I don't think we can find any doggy seatbelts here and they think the crate is safer if they travel with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I don't think we have any laws about that here, but it such good safety! Glad they made the first drive without any problems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys did great! You were very nice to be so patient with your Mom, and the law. And you'll be safer too! Win win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ours slide over the seat belt and then you buckle the seat belt. There is a clip that attaches to our harness. We can stretch just enough that we can snuggle together in the back seat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have had our Bamboo Seat belt clips for a few years and love them - ours are actually a clip and lead in one - sadly Bamboo stopped making them but maybe they will re-consider it now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on the road test. I hear they thinking of something similar here, which wont be very good for one of our neighbours who has his little dog on his knee whilst driving. BOL.
    I had a harness once but I unclipped myself by standing on my buckle and then another time when mum braked I fell off the seat and kind of got left being pulled half up. I didn't mind though. Now I ride in soft crate in the car boot. (trunk?)
    ~lickies, Ludo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a seat belt harness too and it hooks into the seat belt thingy. I think it is a good idea to have a law like yours in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's very interesting. I didn't know that any states had passed such a law. Hope it keeps pets safe!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete